Friday, March 03, 2006

Observations on a bus (part 2)...

The bus jerks to a stop and the doors open with a rush of air and tiny raindrops. A girl steps aboard, pays her fare, and quickly finds a seat. She’s as wet as everyone else from the rain, but somehow on her it looks good. Her headphones play music only she can hear and we can all see how the music effects her by the rhythmic movement of her head.

The rest of us lurch first one way then the other as the bus lumbers along at an unhealthy speed, but the girl only sways slightly as if she’s subject to a different gravity. Her grip on her copy of PASTE magazine never loosens and her attention never strays from the mesmerizing words on the pages in her hand.

Her tempo slows as the song changes and the bus makes another rough stop. In the brief silence, the girl starts to hum. Within moments the sound of her voice begins to rise above the mechanical din of the aging bus. Sweet and clear, the girl’s voice draws every eye toward her.

“Sky above, endless and ever blue
Filled with stars, shining their light on you
They're there when you're feeling scared
You're all alone,
They’ll lead you home.
Home
Angel, look what you've come to.
Like the deep blue sea
Love is all around you.
It's there when you're standing tall
It'll be there when you fall
It's at the edge of all the dreams you’ll dream”

With someone else’s words but an emotion all her own, she enraptures us all. An audience held captive more by her voice than by the metal transport.

Her song ends as the bus shudders to an abrupt halt. The girl gracefully rises to her feet and exits the bus. Time seems to pause as if the world is suspended momentarily. Then the spell breaks and we return to our lives as they were before an angel rode beside us.

7 comments:

David Emprimo said...

Minnie Driver. I love it!

wes said...

Man, I have to start taking your buses, my bus rides are never that interesting. :) And thanks cleggy for referencing the lyrics, I had no clue who's they were. :)

p.s. thanks for the link princess ladybug, I also add you to my list o'blogs. :)

Princess LadyBug said...

I knew you get that, Cleggy!

Princess LadyBug said...

Wes, thanks for linking to me too! :)

Would you be disappointed to know that both the bus posts are fictionalized? I hope not. When I grow up I want to write fiction for a living. :)

Princess LadyBug said...

Empress, you're one word comment made me blush. Thank you.

Princess LadyBug said...

Em, you are too sweet. Thanks! If I do ever manage to get a book published you get the second autographed copy. Cleggy gets the first one. There has to be some sort of perk for putting up with a crazy friend like me for 10 years. :P

Princess LadyBug said...

Yeah, it says I'm a stalker and he's too nice to get a restraining order. :P