Thursday, December 15, 2005

Sound of Music...

When we started this blogging thing I figured I'd leave the musical posts to Cleggy. He is the expert after all. I am just a very willing student of his musical education.

This blog is a bit of homage. To Cleggy and the wonderful music he's enriched my life with. This is by no means a comprehensive list and they are listed in no particular order.


XTC
A very quirky band from Swindon, England. Not long after I met Cleggy this group was in heavy play rotation in his life. He made tapes of three of their albums for me to listen to. Each tape was listened to a couple of times, but eventually were put into a drawer. Over a year ago those tapes came out of the drawer and became the only thing I played in my car. I became so enamored of this group that I bought each of those CD's off of eBay. I even bought their first CD. While that CD doesn't get much play, the other CD's I bought still do.


World Party
Cleggy sent me one of their CD's just to share them with me. I liked them immediately. Flash forward a couple of years. I'm watching what has since become one of my favorite movies, THE MATCHMAKER. As the movie is coming to a close one of mine & Cleggy's favorite songs begins to play, "She's The One". Needless to say I was quite excited.


Kathleen Wilhoite
All I can say is that if you haven't heard her sing then you are missing out. Her songs strike cords (no pun intended) that haven't been struck since Joni Mitchell. It's not just about her voice. It's about the words she sings and how she sings them. So many singers these days put absolutely no emotion into their songs. Their goal is to impress you with their vocal range. Kathleen's goal seems to be making you feel how she's feeling. And believe me when I say she's damn good at it.


Within Temptation
I was no stranger to Goth Rock when Cleggy first introduced me to this group. After one song, I realized that Amy Lee is an amateur and she shouldn't have given up her day job. After one video, it was Amy who?


Minnie Driver
I've been a fan of her acting since I first saw her in CIRCLE OF FRIENDS (insert Cleggy groan here). One of my favorite movies despite Chris O'Donnell's hideous Irish accent. And I've been a fan of her music from the first moment Cleggy sent me to her website.


Emma Shapplin
My idea of ultimate relaxation is listening to Emma while soaking in a hot bubble bath with a good book. Try it and you'll see what I mean.


Gomez
What can I say? This band rocks in a very serious way.


Popup Boy
This group combines outstanding vocals with a very wicked sense of humor. They make bad sound very good.


Polyphonic Spree
This band is like sunshine mixed with sugar. Perfect for the life soundtrack of a very perky person.




So thank you Cleggy for all the wonderful music you introduce me to!

All I can say is, what's next?! :P

1 comment:

David Emprimo said...

I'm glad you liked them all. And I look forward to introducing you to more.