Sunday, October 22, 2006

There are millions of people in worlds of their own...

Today was laundry day. I gathered up my dirty clothes, a book/crochet project, and my quarters. I loaded it all in to my car and headed out before 11 this morning, hoping to beat the crowd that always starts building around noon. Of course I had my light jacket on because since the surgery I tend to be colder than I am normally. I didn't pay attention to the weather at all. I just wanted to get it over with and home again.

Flash forward about two hours and I'm loading my now clean clothes back into my car. Suddenly the weather catches my attention and I realize the rarity of it in Houston. It's about 68 degrees (Fahrenheit of course), only 40% humidity (I say "only" because frequently it's 100% humidity here and NOT raining), there is a cool breeze blowing, AND the sun is shining. Can you say beautiful weather?

My first choice on how to celebrate this extremely rare and lovely day was a picnic. Alas, not only do I not have the money to buy what I'd need for a picnic lunch or a place to have a picnic, but I don't have anyone nearby to join me. So as an alternative I decide to take the scenic route home.

I roll down all the windows, open the sunroof, and crank the radio. My favorite Barenaked Ladies album is in the CD player ("Maybe You Should Drive" for anyone that is curious). I'm singing along loudly as I feel the fresh air rushing at me from all sides. People are staring at stoplights, but I don't care. It's not environmentally responsible of me to be driving around just for the hell of it, but again I don't care. I think the almost Zen state I'm achieving is more important than what little damage I might be doing to the environment.

All too soon my responsible side manages to finally be heard over the music and rushing air. With a sigh, I turn back towards home. What I would really like to do is head south towards the beach, spend a few hours soaking up some salt air, and read. But I know that I'm really not in good enough shape to make the nearly three-hour roundtrip drive and the walk to find a good spot to read. So it's back home for me.

Still it was a great drive filled with fresh air and fabulous music. Sometimes it's really good to live in Texas. :)


4 comments:

Kwizgiver said...

Sounds like the perfect afternoon!

Chelle said...

Oh, sounds great. Makes me miss home even more. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Unknown said...

Laundry Day!!!!! I totally enjoyed laundry day when I lived in the old neighborhood. At least I think that I did. Come to think of it, I don't remember laundry day, maybe because I was drinking during the laundry. That maybe why.

wes said...

Sounds like a good day. :)

With all the talk of clean clothes and open windows, I thought you were going to say something like all your clean clothes went flying out the window. But it sounds like all was safe. :)